Friday, October 2, 2009

the black cauldron...

i'd like the eye of newt stew and a side of fried bat wings, please
is stitched ... woo hoo!!! i used glow in the dark thread for the little circles around the open sign - but when i tried to get a picture of them glowing in the dark ... well ... the camera laughed at me ... sigh ... the leaves in the window boxes are DMC #4130 ... i think i might add a few leaves to each of the blocks - i like how they look ... we saw this version of Hocuspocusville at the Quilt Affair...oops! don't want you to get a crick in your neck...
that's better ... now say ooooh! aaaaah!
...this is the third completed HPV (not the virus) that i have seen and the jury inside my head is still out on whether or not i like it better with brights or with more color or with buttons ...... well ... not really on that last one - the button version has been my least favorite ... but my opinion may have be tainted by the quilter ... our conversation went something like this...

i used blah blah blah single strand
uhm ... i'm using two strands of DMC #3371
DMC?!!? floss?!!?? sneer
uhm ... yes
i finished the quilt in three months
well, that's great! good for you!
how long have you been working on it?
uhm ... since february
february??!! and you haven't finished the embroidery??!!
uhm mum mum ... no
really!??!!?

grrrr ... yes ... really ... i'm embroidering - plain old embroidery with a plain old hoop and a plain old sharp needle and plain old embroidery floss - something i haven't done since i was a teenager when rocks were soft and mist was in the air ... and i am enjoying every minute of it ... i'm not running a race and i don't have a timetable ... i'm not stitching Hocuspocusville to impress anybody - i'm stitching it cuz i like it ... and it doesn't much matter to me if it takes six months (not likely) or six years ...... okay ... rant's over ... i feel much better

7 comments:

  1. It's about the journey, not the destination....I am hand-piecing blocks for a quilt, it's been on the go for over three years now. I'm not in a hurry to finish because I am enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post. I haven't even started my HPV even though I bought it as a BOM from Homestead Hearth. I double Grrrrr the snotty person. Your block is great! Love the colored leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt! GAQF has a sample. Good for you in doing the embroidery by hand. I need a project like this for all the time I waste sitting at practices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely, you should take your time and enjoy the process. I have stitcheries I started more than 10 years ago, maybe even longer, that are still "in process."

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're WAAAAY ahead of me--but then anyone who has opened the package is WAAAAY ahead of me! Still, what's the rush? Halloween won't be here for over a year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a celebration every time that you share your completed blocks. I have not completed one of my blocks yet. Yet, it is the way that it is. Did you sign up to live your embroidery life to the tune that the quilter was talking? Didn't think so. Next time that conversation starts to rerun in your head, tell your brain - "I am not going there." I swear to God it works!

    Happy Stitchin Lady

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHAHAHA, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have so many projects and so little time to do them all and then other people think up things for me to do also. *sigh* I started some Peter Rabbit counted cross stitch 26 years ago. I have one scene to finish and it is almost done (I only had one left to do for 26 years now too, but I am working on it now) So now worries, I bet you will beat me!

    ReplyDelete