Monday, December 9, 2013

pink snowmen

have you ever seen pink snow?
yep, there IS such a thing...

i HAVE seen pink snow - it was drifted across the front yard last year

it looked weird

and it didn't look tasty
even though some people say it tastes like watermelon
(here's a link to why you shouldn't eat it if you should ever stumble across any) 

there wasn't enough to make a snowman - not that i would have because snowmen shouldn't be pink
they should be white!!!

anywho ... i didn't think too much about it after it melted...

fast forward a year

i FINALLY finished the three Fruitcake by Basic Grey for Moda quilts that i started in 2010 ... i threw them all into the washing machine along with five dye grabbers, some laundry detergent, and the wash & rinse cycles on cold...

i am a prewasher ... i treat fabric like it's gonna be treated after it is made into whatever...
but all three of the Fruitcake quilts were made from precuts - a layer cake and two charm packs - and i didn't prewash the fabric for fear of them shredding into tiny unusable bits...

however...

if i had known that this...
 pink where it oughta be white ... sigh
was gonna happen, i would have taken my chances on tiny unusable bits

ALL of the white is now pink - and that is after washing and rewashing and rewashing and rewashing and rewashing and rewashing...

grrrrr!!!

8 comments:

  1. OH NOOOOOO!!!! How terrible for your beautiful quilts. Maybe try some Synthrapol (it removes excess dye from fabrics along with more dye catchers. Barbara Brackman had a blog post recently about red fabric here's the link: http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.com/2013/11/running-reds.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is extremely pink indeed! Still, I suppose it's better than yellow.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. HORROR!! DS brought his Skulls quilt home for a wash and I STILL get sad seeing the pink on the white fabric, even tough the quilt itself is pretty worn by now. I got some result by using a kind of chemical washingpowder stuff for bleeding laundry....
    Oh darn, I HATE pink!( and i'm holding back on all the English swear words I know; you can fill them in..)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Synthrapol is your friend in this case. It has worked for me twice. First on a block exchange I won at my guild and used as a wedding present. I washed it twice with Color Catchers to no avail. That's when a friend told me about Synthrapol. Success! Fast forward 5 months to now. I pulled the flannel Christmas quilt out of the pile and saw the pink bleeding that has been there since 2005 and annual washing. I gave it go with Synthrapol, not expecting much since the pink had been there 8 yeras. TA DA - no more pink! Jingle bell rock! One thing you have to get over - the directions say use HOT water. Just do it. It works. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS!!!! Scald the crap out of those quilts!!! Like Amy said -- try the Synrapthol. It might take several times, but it's worth a shot. So Sorry that happened.

    And Snow Algae -- Ewwwwwww!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh DEAR! How very annoying. I have no advice except that little girls tend to like pink so if the ideas above don't work, I think you should just pretend it was deliberate and give it to a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bummer! I'm super surprised that happened with that line of fabrics. I never have that happen with quilt-shop quality fabrics and I know that's a Moda line, so I'm shocked. I hope the Synthropol works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sad story. But I like pink and I like the way it looks. But then, I didn't see it before. Try the Synthrapol. It couldn't hurt! And that pink algae story was a little yucky. I may never eat snow again, no matter what color!

    ReplyDelete